Saturday, February 19, 2011

First Day Out

So today (February 18th) marks the first day someone took me out in their car to shoot some photographs. Kiki Athanassiadis works for the University of Windsor as the printmaking and digital print lab technician. Sheis from Montreal, and only arrived in Windsor for the first time, likemyself, just after September. The first trip made for a most interesting adventure.
The first place she wanted to take me to was Zalev Brothers, which is a metal recycler, because she drives past it every day. But I had just been there on Tuesday when Riaz had lent me his car; I knew that I would need to get permission into the area to get the photograph I wanted. So, we took a service road to some interesting buildings that she had seen instead. It was here that I took the portrait of her car, and decided I would come back to photograph a building during a day when there was morninglight.


From here we got a little bit lost, but ended up driving over an overpass where hundreds of new cars from the Chrysler plant are stored. First, we stopped for a quick lunch at Tim Hortons. (I ate a Spitfire donut. Really… do all cities have donuts named and decorated for their junior hockey leagues!?)

It was a good time to sit and discuss my current project – we discussed mapping, a perfomative aspect, and adding audio. All valid issues that I need to give more thought to. After lunch, we drove near the edge of the overpass, and Kiki waited in the car, while I walked up the grassy side of the overpass to get an elevated view of the Chrysler Plant car yard. This may sound easy, but I had to do a bit of bush whacking to get up there, and with the fresh snow melt, it was a bit wet and muddy in places. But I made it, set up, and am hoping something good emerges once I stitch the pano together.










Our next stop wasThe Wood Mill, as Kiki is currently creating a piece of work out of wood. They had some really exotic and beautifully coloured and textured wood in stock and I couldn’t help taking a few photographs.

































We decided to head back at this point, and took Riverside drive back into the heart of the city. The colour of the Fleming channel was so blue, I couldn’t help but stop and take a photograph of the Detroit skyline. Before being finished for the day, we stopped at Crawford Avenue so I could reshoot a pano I had shot on a day when the light wasn’t as good. Then headed back to Lebel, finished up a few things in my studio, and here I am.


I’m Exhausted! It’s been a long, but good week. I’m glad reading week is ahead, and I have at least two more people lined up to take me out during it. Kiki also made a suggestion that I should get everyone together at the end of this project for a dinner. Not that I could afford a dinner for all those people, but just a get together. Something to keep in mind anyways…

No comments: